Monday, March 14, 2016

Bye Bye Arachnophobia

Fear is a funny thing, it can really change how we process everything.
When I was younger a fear/phobia I had was of spiders, absolutely terrified.  It is understandable given I was bitten by a brown recluse at 8 years old and black widows were a common sight, as were scorpions when we were living in Las Vegas.  Still I needed to get over it.
When I was bitten I remember a red, itchy, painful line traveling up my arm that I ran to show my mom.  She was and is an excitable woman so her yelling that I stormed in, interrupting her was expected.  Instead she very calmly and sweetly advised we head to the car to go for a ride and have it looked at; that scared me.  When we got to the hospital I was surrounded by doctors who were also doing their best to keep me calm, military doctors weren't known for bedside manner so the nervousness increased.  After a few days I was released, fear remained for nearly 25 years.... being afraid of spiders and liking camping don't make for the best combo so I strove to overcome it.  Healing finally came when I decided to make spider drawings, jewelry, scupltures and animations, finding beauty and cuteness in them.....
Fear can transform into beauty and joy when filtered through art.... I highly recommend it :)

No comments: