Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Dangling zenly from doodles




While searching online for books full of drawing techniques at 3a I came across a series of books by different artists on doodle techniques known as zentangling http://zentangle.blogspot.com The technique consists of creating drawn shapes that are segmented as shown here on wikihow; http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Zentangle with patterns how tos here http://tanglepatterns.com/tag/zentangle ..... with the technique the spaces within the segments are filled in with random repeating pattern.  There are some really cool patterns and drawings that I found and I am psyched for the inspiration.   From what I have read there are 147 patterns, some posted on the website but not all because she leads workshops that teach the other patterns and I found postings from 'certified zentangle instructors'.  The techniques are fun,designs are way cool and I was psyched at how much purusing the doodles/zentangles got me drawing with free er lines again.. 


It brought  me back to when I was  younger and would doodle on any and all available surfaces, - stationary wasnt always necesary, still isnt. 


  

Now there are workshops, booklets, YouTube videos, blogs etc on how to zentangle/doodle.

It's quite awesome that doodling is now a thing that people want to search out to do..... I used to to get in trouble for doodling on the covers of my notebooks and now there are classes to show us how.

The concept of teaching doodling is cool and if it gets somebody freethinking and that doing like a child that was fantastic, at the end of the day just be free, like when you were a kid and not worried if you could your draw or not, you  just drew,  and the coolest stuff came out!  So, please, do more of that now.



I think a book to refer to when I'm feeling stuck and forget to doodle..... book or no book, please doodle, the world needs more of what comes from a us when our internal editor isnt too loud.... and when you do, please show me what you drew in comment below or on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ColornTell ..... I love to see what you did.... The one I did and posted here is inspired by Sprout Brook, one of my favorite places to take my girls and doodle.

PS ... more to come

Chelle

No comments: